Tuesday, August 2, 2005

"Your mama was a snowblower"

I just got back from seeing Stealth, the newly released motion picture about an Unmanned Combat Aerial Vehicle that goes haywire and turns on its allies, and I have to say that it was much better than I thought it would be.

I was anticipating a horrendous bag of shite, but the movie was surprisingly tolerable. The special effects were fun, the story was somewhat believable, and the AI themes were adequate. The story explored our resistance to recognizing intelligent behavior by a robot. our reluctance to trust an artificial entity, and our fear of losing control of or being replaced by a sentient machine. In my opinion, the biggest shortcoming of the film was the sophomoric reliance on a lighting strike to instigate consciousness in the agent. Sound familiar?

Hopefully, with enough R&D money and brilliant engineers we will see the deployment of advanced intelligent systems like these in the near future.

No comments: